Thread: Dry Gas
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Dry Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
If you can't find ethanol-free gas, you can make your own by using water to remove the ethanol! Experiment first with a clear glass bottle. Fill about 3/4 full with the gas/ethanol slop, then fill the rest of the way with plain water, shake well and let settle. Since water and gasoline do not mix, the water will soon settle to the bottom of the bottle and you will see two distinct layers of liquid. Now, since water and ethanol do mix, the ethanol in the gas will combine with the water you added and settle to the bottom with the water. You now have pure gasoline sitting on top of the water! Either siphon the gas off from the top or drain the water out the bottom.
Now scale this up as big as you want. I was looking at those square 5 gallon clear plastic jugs racers and motorcyclists use and put a 1/4 turn brass valve in the bottom to drain off the water, but a local station started selling ethanol-free gas.
By the way, refineries start with about 82 octane gas because 10% ethanol raises it to 87 octane. 82 is far higher than what you could buy back then. If you want to end up with 87, buy the 92 octane premium to start with. This is what you get at an ethanol-free station; they just buy the 87 octane base stock from the refinery.
Thanks, 40 deluxe !!!!!!! Great info !!! I've worried about what I could do when it gets to where I can no longer get ethanol free gas . Its not likely that they will ever go back to ethanol free gas as the norm . They are making too much money with the ethanol adultrated crap gas to ever change back .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote