Thread: Master cylinder
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Master cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
What master cylinder is commonly used with a juice brake conversion? My 37 has 40 hubs and I think a ford (mustang?) dual reservoir master cylinder.. I have blead and adjusted them twice now and still have a low pedal.. It has residual valves on both lines..Thinking maybe the bore is to small.. I sure would appreciate some advice..
Thanks in advance..
Are you using 1/4" or 3/16" brake line? The disc/drum master cylinder was intended for power brakes and the drum/drum master cylinder for manual brakes. The disc/drum master cylinder should be 1" bore. In general as you increase bore size you increase the effort you have to apply to the brakes and decrease line pressure. The advantage is increased volume of fluid in the lines. Ford used the larger diameter brake lines and a larger bore size. In modern cars most larger bore master cylinders are used with power boosters because of the increased pedal pressure required. I would think that a "low pedal" would indicate some other problem in the brake system. Increasing the bore size of the master cylinder will decrease pedal travel, but it will also require increased force (leg effort).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote