Thread: '32 woody color
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #13
DavidG

Default Re: '32 woody color

With respect, despite what Lorin Sorenson wrote, it is not clear from the information in Ford's archives that all of the '32 station wagon bodies were built by Baker-Rauling as only a fraction of the survivors with original right front door wood have their name plate or holes in the wood where the name plate was once attached. My wagon's body number is under 100 and it clearly did not ever have one of their name plates attached to the right front door (all of the wood in the door was original before the restoration). Further, the original engineering drawings for the roof side sills show two different means of construction were approved, strongly suggesting more than a single source for the bodies.

Mid-year can mean a number of things given that '32 model Job #1 was in early March, 1932 and no station wagon bodies were shipped to the assembly plants until April 22. Only twenty bodies were installed on chassis by that month's end. May was a high water mark for station wagon production with 505 Bs and 1 V8 out the door by the end of the month, which ended up being more than one-third of the total number produced (1,406). Given the body number of my wagon, it likely was one of those B models produced in May and it was originally painted in Winterleaf (Ford's spelling) brown-light. I've seen a fair number of survivor '32 wagons in the 58 years that I've owned mine and of those with surviving original paint all were Winterleaf brown-light, but I've no doubt one will turn up in Manila brown as I indicated in #2 above. As shown in the photos above, the two colors are not easily confused.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote