Thread: Tight engine
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Tight engine

I had the same problem with a newly rebuilt engine that sat for 10 years. The rebuilder was a big help, "you should have been turning the engine every six months." Kohnke's suggestion for towing is a good one but in my case it wasn't enough. I started out towing the car with my tractor, all plugs out, car was in neutral. I shifted into high gear and very carefully started to let out the clutch until I could hear the clutch starting to rub and then I bumped the starter button. It was the jolt of the starter that broke it loose. Then I let the clutch all the way out. The hood was off so I could see the fan turning. I can tell you I was one very happy guy! We towed the car for about a 1/2 mile but it was not enough to break it in. We towed the car several times and then I put the plugs back in the car and went through the same towing procedure until the car started. That was a great day!! I was surprised that it took a few towings to get the car started and like magic one day it started perfectly normally with the starter. I was home free.

One note of caution, don't forget that you have a keyed rear axle that can be sheared if you are too rough in jump starting the car, messing up your axle shaft. Do this towing process very gently. Good luck with your project.
Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote