View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
montanafordman

Default Re: Looking at buying brakes-Any advice please?

Whenever possible I would opt for USA made products. I have spent a lot more money on hand tools buying USA than others even when quality is a wash however how many of us truly buy USA all the time?? Where are your clothes made? How about your computer, ipad, car, etc? I'm a strong proponent of supporting american industries whenever possible to keep our dollars here, but with that said, when I bought my drums I didn't have the finances to spend the extra on the USA made drums and I took a chance with Mels Drums. I had heard nothing but good things from people that had actually used them and I now have 500 miles on mine with no problems. They don't squeak or fade and they do what they're supposed too.

I would think even the USA made drums can crack when the hubs are installed. It takes about 30 tons of pressure to swedge the lug nuts onto the hub/drum, and if its not supported properly you can warp the drum (or crack it according to some claims). A member of my club built a fixture to install hubs and swedge lug nuts that supports all the studs / the entire drum to minimize the risk of distortion during installation. The drums are also slightly undersize so you should true the drum (any drum) after installation to ensure its perfectly round, and specify that they need to be turned to 11" so you can get the drum on over the brake shoes. IMHO suseptablility to cracking during installation is a whole different animal than what one would encounter driving.

I wouldn't knock anyone for going either way with the drums, and I would also check all the other components for wear as others have suggested. Specifically welding or replacing worn roller tracks, and taking up slop in linkages, worn bushings, etc. Make sure your front brake arms are forward about 15 deg. and if not add pills or replace operating pins, shafts etc. and spend extra time adjusting your roller tracks to center your brakes properly. These efforts will pay off big time.

Last edited by montanafordman; 05-16-2013 at 07:59 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote