View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Looking at buying brakes-Any advice please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I am looking at buying some cast iron brakes for my project and saw Mac's has their brakes on sale for 15% off and they are made in the USA. I also have seen Mel Gross' brakes for $260+shipping for all four. However, his are made in China and I was hoping to use American made on my roadster.

Has anybody had any experience with either the American made ones from Mac's or the Chinese made ones from Mel Gross? The cost difference is about $80 and I don't mind shelling out the extra for quality American made brakes.

I am going to replace the entire brake setup, what all do I need to purchase?
Thanks.
I applaud you for choosing the US manufactured drums which I feel is a superior product, ...not because they are US made but because of the material used in the manufacturing. Some of us read the recent rebuttal but chose to discuss the comments privately instead publicly because our thoughts (-like others) were opinion based. The DOT requires O.E. drums to be made from a better quality of material than what the China-made units are from. If you read the response, the Chinese drums have been known to crack simply by installing them to the hubs. While that is not covered under warranty, the manufacturer said after installed he does not know of any failures from cracks during driving and would cover it under warranty should they ever crack. For me it is just not worth taking the chance over a few extra dollars.

As for what else to purchase, IMO each part has been engineered to do a specific job, and I have found that each of those items needs to be within specification to have fantastic brakes. You should inspect each & every piece and determine what wear is on your components. Then you can restore or replace each of those components.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote