View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Aerocraft

Default Re: 1934 repo bumpers.

Thanks for all the good words!

It appears to me that what I have in one original and one repo bumper. The grooves on the front are significantly different between the two. What appears to be an original has a sharper edge and the number 5 stamped in two places on the back. The second bumper has no number stamped on the rear face an a groove that was done with a different die with a larger radius.

The car came out of a large Southern California collection of Ford flatheads and it is my understanding the the now deceased owner was not a purist. He had installed a 59AB, converted it to 12 volts, and covered the seats with black vinal over the original upholstery. The car had not been finished when he passed away. It is a standard Fordor and had been poorly resprayed in black a long time ago. I have refinished it in coach Maroon with Black fenders. I have the correct engine to install at a later date.

Thanks for your advice, I am now looking for a pair of original bumpers and will have them replated at my favorite "triple" chrome shop.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote