View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #44
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Position of the spark lever question

Here is how I set the timing in my cars. Remove the spark plugs so that the engine is easy to turn, this makes the job easier. I first set the points at .022 , I then turn the engine over until I find the timing mark. Forget about where the spark lever is set or when the points open, this only adds confusion and causes most to end up with retarded timing. The important thing is where the rotor tip points. With the timing pin in the correct spot, I loosen the points cam screw and set the points cam so that the trailing edge of the rotor tip is in alignment with the number one plug wire contact in the distributor cap body, with NO clockwise backlash. If you don't have a cam wrench, it may take several tries to get it right, because when you tighten the cam screw the points cam will also try to move in the clock wise direction and when this happens it retards the timing. There will be backlash but when the backlash is in the counter clockwise direction it doesn't effect the timing. With the points and timing set in this manner it will idle with the spark up (retarded) and have that cool chick a lunka sound. when the spark is advanced the idle speed will increase and smooth out. Throttle response should be crisp with the spark fully advanced. More modern cars have vacume or centrifugal advance to prevent timing knock and buck at low speed or under strain. The model A has mechanical advance controlled by the driver and it is an aquired skill, sort of like shifting the crash box transmission. With good roads and faster driving speed that we have now days, not as much attention is needed with the spark lever as it was in the twenties. I don't creep around and lug the engine, that is really worse for the engine, than driving sixty mph and runs the risk of being rear ended. If you are driving on trails or parades you will need to retard the spark as needed to relieve the timing knock and buck. You can feel the sweet spot as you move the lever. There is no advantage in driving with the spark retarded to the point the engine loses power, this practice causes overheating and warped manifolds. It doesn't matter to me how anybody uses their spark. I just can't imagine driving my cars at highway speeds with the spark lever half way up the quadrant.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 02-26-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote