View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
mrtexas

Default Re: Restore or just repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post
I bought my car partly as an investment much restoration affects the "patina" to the point where value is reduced.

If I do things, such as painting suspension parts, have I hurt or enhanced the value of the car. Mind you, this isn't going to stop me from cleaning and painting parts or re-upholstering the seats, but I'm curious to know if there is any objective standard between original rusty barn find and 100 point restoration.

John
Investment ha ha. You mean the kind that loses value?

The hype about original cars is mostly hype. The valuable original cars are the 1 in a million that is in very good condition and drivable for it's age. I have to have a laugh every time I hear the pickers raving about some rusty old piece of crap that is "original." Unless your car is near 100% original, drivable and retains most of its original paint I wouldn't worry about reducing its value by restoring it. I see Wayne Carini showing his 1954 preserved Studebaker as something rare and wonderful. Maybe, but 50s Studebakers aren't highly sought after so the value wouldn't be there in my book.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote