Thread: Flathead smoke
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #31
moefuzz

Default Re: Flathead smoke

......Should probably mention that since about the turn of the century,
piston/Oil ring control has improved greatly.

For Cars, Trucks, Vehicles, Engines, Engines blocks (at least for those manufacturers who don't sell you $25,000 in total/absolute planned obsolescence attached to 57 cent ignition switches that turn the anti lock brakes and airbags off when driving)

and especially

===================

??

===================

Ok,

Within The Last 20 Years,
Advancements In The Area Of

Piston ring and seating
has been improved significantly
thru tighter tolerances and
advances in metallurgy

......to almost eliminate blowby and/or oil residues not being scrapped off the cylinder wall before the big bang.

Manufacturers like Ford have been able to dramatically 'tighten up' the combustion chamber as well as extend cylinder wall and engine life.

This is one of the reasons that we are seeing many manufacturers recommend 10,000 mile oil intervals today as opposed to the 2500 mile recommended oil change of just a few years ago.

Little to nothing is getting past the rings to contaminate the engine oil, oil stays cleaner, catalytic converters stay cleaner, cars last longer, well at least at one Detroit manufacturer they do anyway.

I suspect that with today's engines, even a high ash oil could do little damage to the converter. It was mostly the lead in leaded gas anyway and that took years to accumulate.

....Just My Humble Opinion
..And I Am Opinionated
-moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The cylinder wall are oiled on each stroke and the rings (especially the oil control rings) scrape the oil off. This is not a 100% perfect process and depending on the condition of the engine a very small film is left on the cylinder walls. The same applies to the valve stems.

JSeery has got it right....

Last edited by moefuzz; 02-22-2016 at 02:24 AM.
moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote