Thread: Garage heat
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #39
JaxFLG8r

Talking Re: Garage heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Ah, I didn't know you were factoring wind chill. About 8 years ago we had what they called "the alaskan express" roll through and for about a week we had HIGHS of-50 and lows we don't know as the thermometers only went down to -50 and would blank out. Took my diesel truck out of a heated garage to go to Ft Mac and within 8KM, the gear oil in the diff and trans got so thick the truck was working just to go down the road. Got about 10MPG, got to Athabasca and most fuel stations were closed. Found one that was open but when I went to put the nozzle in my tank the hose snapped off. Hauled water building ice roads in that. Hauling water in <-50.....no fun. Anyway, that was an anomaly, we usually only get down to maybe -30 for a few days and occasionally (once every 5-6 years or so) -40. Fortunately when it gets cold there usually is no wind. Sorry, got off topic, back to heating a garage
I used to wonder why there were so many of our neighbors from Canada down here in Florida during the winter.....Posts like this make it crystal clear why there are so many Canadian license plates on the roads......
JaxFLG8r is offline   Reply With Quote