View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #15
steve s

Default Re: Thermostat use-yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I don't disagree with your comments. I can only mention again what my experience has been. We have owned one Model A for over 40 years. Never a heating problem. Thousands of miles driven, some in high summer heat. Our other Model A's also were fine.

Sound engine, good radiator and water pump, correct timing, right weight oil. If as Henry built it or at least close to it. Will go another 90 years, assuming they can still buy gas.

I don't think a thermostat will help add to the longevity of engine. They already have lasted 90 years. Enjoy.
Well, we sure can't argue with success! Other than their being demonstrably essential for my after-market hot water heater to work, all I know about thermostats is what I've read. But, be that as it may, as a fellow long-time Model A owner, I would be interested in your experience on another issue. (I've owned my car since 1960, but it was out of use for 22 years while life intervened.)

What has been your radiator experience? Specifically, I've long suspected that a major cause of Model A radiator failure is use of regular (waterproof) grease in the water pump. It's almost impossible to know when you've added just enough grease, and I believe that much of the years-of-excess grease has to wind up in the radiator tubes. Ford recommended water soluble grease to prevent this, but I suspect that few people do. I'm curious if you've gotten decades of service from your radiators as you have with the motors, and what your lubrication practice has been, especially since you mention you've never had overheating problems.

By the way, I'm a big advocate of using thermostats to prevent UNDER warming of the engine, but I've never been persuaded that thermostats are useful to prevent OVER heating.

Thanks!

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote