View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 10:42 PM   #12
Dick Carne

Default Re: 1929 Model A - Headlamp issues

I initially experienced the same thing with our cars years ago, so I first converted to a six volt alternator. That helped, but I still noticed some dimming whenever the car would be stopped. I then converted to 12 volts (and 12-volt alternator), and that seemed to resolve that issue, however, I've also noticed some other things may need to be changed out as a result. For instance, the starter on our Town Sedan would slam into the flywheel gear, and several of the horns no longer have the nice old "ahooga" sound, but rather more of a loud "splat" (I've since had to replace the Sedan flywheel gear). Despite the other cars not having issues with a six volt starter, the conversion of field coils in the Sedan starter seemed to resolve that issue for that car. I plan to have our touring car horn rewound for 12 volts after the first of the year.

But with all of that said, there are now several variations of LED bulbs that are now available that do not have near the same draw that a traditional bulb does (these were not available when I converted our cars to 12-volt systems). So my first recommendation would be to possibly consider changing to LED bulbs to see if this might resolve your problem - regardless, I would certainly recommend LED's on all stop and tail light applications, whether six or twelve volt. Others may care to weigh in on this thought as well. Good luck to you on this, and welcome to the "group"!
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote