View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 12:21 AM   #22
Don T

Default Re: running with no thermostats

Perhaps I could provide more info on the discussion on thermostats; it seems that all stats perform well based on temperature alone, however has anyone considered the issue of flow or volume passing a wide open thermostat, My experience follows, new clean engine, new NAPA stats (160), the rad burped on a drive on a hot day. One stat had not opened, stuck I assume, I replaced with the original 170 stat that came with the truck. It was better, still ran to warm though. I had had overheating problems pulling a trailer so I decide to match up the stats and put all new stats in. I compared at wide open, the opening size of (for flow) the original Ford stats versus the new one I had installed (160) It looked like at wide open condition the opening of the original stat volume was about double that of the new replacement. I installed all new high flow stats and my temps did definitely drop, however this needs to be confirmed on a real hot day. This is just further info on the never ending flathead overheating discussion.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)