View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #387
Kube

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi Mike,
Idiomatically speaking, you are correct, in that the informal use of the noun Kiwi, (referring to a New Zealander) is in fact what Kiwi’s handle is representing, not the other definitions. It's apparent that putting a dictionary in some people’s hands is the equitant of giving a loaded gun to an infant. Knowing the multi tiered definitions of a word or phrase is only the first step, you also have to understand the context in which the word or phrase is being used, to understand the intended result.

For example, here's an interpretation of KUBE, also taken from the dictionary...(to draw a parallel) cube (kyooba) 1. Any of various tropical American shrubs or plants, esp. of the genus lon-chocarpus, whose roots yield rotenone. 2. An extract from the roots of the cube plants, used as a fish poison and insecticide... It's obvious however that we all know your handle is a shortened version of your last name, and has absolutely nothing to do with the previous definitions, idiomatically speaking. By the way, I did not see any of the expanded definitions you made mention of i.e., Idiot Savant… in the dictonaries I have, Imagine that. Out of curiosity, what dictionary are you using?

This is a fun game. Thanks for playing. What's the next category for questions; will it be English Literature, Geography, Flathead Fords, Iconic American Movies or 17th Century Arts? Stay tuned as I'm sure the fun will continue.
You Vic, have apparently grasped "the read between the lines" of my response to Kiwi. Judging by his previous posts, he will not understand my retort. How do guys like that survive? Oh yeah, breathing - involuntary.
"Idiot savant" is a coupling of two separate words to express a "hybrid" of sorts. I pray YOU understand what I was expressing. If not, PM me and I will attempt to explain. In the meantime, I might suggest you look up the definition of each word. C'mon Vic, connect the dots here. It isn't (shouldn't be) that difficult. C'mon, you can do it...
I will not continue to play what you think is a game if there are no minimum requirements to enter. I find it too discouraging to "play" with folks (IE:mouth breeders) the likes of which think Deliverance was a Buick.