View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #174
blucar

Default Re: Australian 1940-1941 Ford Open Cab Pick-Ups

Being somewhat of a student of WWII, I can very clearly recall hearing the news on the radio in my Dad's '40 Chevy that the Japanese had attack Pearl Harbor.
Looking at many of the areas world wide where-in WWII was raging, the Middle East, Pacific Rim, Europe and Eastern Europe, I seem to note a large number of Ford built trucks of all sizes, many of which are four wheel drive, being used by the British in the early part of the War. I guess this could be due to the fact that the British, Germans, Russia's etc., had been at it for almost three years before America entered the war in '41.
Ford seems to have played a very big part with the British and German armies, most likely because Ford had factories in the Common Wealth and Germany.
The U.S. played a hide and seek game during the '39-41 period sending vehicles to England and Russia via the Lend-Lease program, the majority of these vehicles were Chevrolet's and Studebaker medium duty trucks. The Studebaker's are very easy to spot with their slanted windshields which the Russians copied clear into the 1970's.
The Japanese also used a large number of Ford vehicles in the war, of course they were mostly comundered vehicles from the areas they over ran.
On a side note: I recently read an article about the Garand M1 rifles that the Japanese captured in large numbers. Being the very cleaver people that the Japanese are, they put the M1''s into service. They had a problem with the use of the M1's because of the difference in the ammo. Of course the Japanese had captured large a amounts of 30-06 ammo, however the vast amount of captured ammo was British 303.. To solve this problem the Japanese set up a factory in Japan to reverse engineer the M'1's so they could build them... Remember Patton's statement describing the M1 rifle as "being the greatest battle weapon ever invented.".
The Japanese were not successful with their effort to copy the M1, after over a year of trying they gave up on the idea and continued with their old bolt action rifles.