View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
MGG

Default Re: Putting Spark Plug Wires into Looms

I have done this several times on my 34. I remove the tubes with wires completely from the engine (2 intake manifold bolts and a wire bail down at the distributor). It is a lot easier job on the bench than on the truck. Next, I carefully slip the tube, rubber boot, and outer cap off of the wires while the wires are still plugged into the inner cap. Next I unplug the longest old wire only, from the inner cap, plug the longest new wire in and thread it through the outer cap, boot, and tube. I do this one wire at a time from the longest first to the shortest last. This way I do not have to worry about getting them plugged into the wrong terminal in the inner cap. I use a small steel wire to help pull as I push and pull them through the tube. Although not original, I use the end clips which come straight off of the plug, not the 90 degree bend ones. The straight ones thread through the tube easier, have holes to hook my fishing wire to, and they hold the wires up away from the engine heat. I also make up my own wires to the proper length ahead of time. I have had a bad experience with some of the new repo wire sets which come with a glossy coating which cracks with the slightest bend. They have to make a pretty tight bend in the outer caps.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote