View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
MikeK

Default Re: Would there be any interest in a programmable electronic points replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsr490 View Post
Has anyone looked at this http://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#1 ?
I have two on hand and looking to install one here shortly.
The original post of this thread was for a system to add ignition advance. This device does not do that.

Among the multitude of devices designed to replace capacitive resonance(the condenser) with a single sharp field collapse in the coil ('transistor switching'), this one is the worst I have seen.

Here is what is inside:
Since this is not an electronics forum I won't go in excessive detail, but if you get a dozen 30 minute trips in a Model A with this in the distributor it will be a miracle. It was designed (poorly!) for a lawn mower.

Even the manufacturer's install instructions tell you very bad things about the design:
"Operation with a poor or non-existing ground can instantly destroy this device when power is applied!" (You need a dedicated ground to the battery in a Model A)

" Do not mount in the breaker points box as overheating and subsequent failure will occur!" (breaker points box on a lawn mower is equivalent to the distributor on a Model A, a HOT place!)

Good luck with it!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote