View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
Straw530

Default Re: Balancing an engine at home (Newbie)

Thanks for all the responses! One thing about all this old junk, is everyone is very helpful! I will try to answer all the best I can.
I got the car from someone who had lost interest. He had the engine rebuilt by someone, and I noticed the vibration. So, when I had the engine out, I took it to the guy here in Minnesota. He checked the flywheel as I asked and ran it on his stand. I can drive the car up to at least 60, that's how fast I have had it so far. I usually run around 50, but it has more it can go. It has about 650 miles on the rebuild, and does maybe seem like it has gotten a little smoother. (Maybe) The oil is mainly in the rear of the engine around the flywheel, but the pan is also oily. My plan was to clean everything and then let the engine warm up without driving to get a better idea of where the leak might be. I am wondering about a gasket between the flywheel and the block. I don't remember one being there, but I have been working on this thing for two years so...
I did add ships behind the throttle linkage as I was instructed, not sure if I should leave, add more or take out! I don't think the floats are too tight, but I can check. The harmonic pulley? I don't know anything about how to do that but I am interested! I am out of town now for work so I can't go out and look at the car yet. Thanks again for all the help!
Straw530 is offline   Reply With Quote