View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
trevorsworth

Default Re: Model A dies with throttle open

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
the second video doesn't sound too bad can you put the pipe back on and drive it?
I've been driving it without the pipe. I realize that is maybe somewhat ill-advised. It does great - plenty of power, until it gets in the "mood". I have to coast to a stop and wait for it to decide to start working again.

The popping and cackling when revving down gets lots of mixed reactions from neighbors haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Maybe sticking valves. Direct some Marvel Mystery Oil into the carb intake at elevated rpm. Any sticking valves will free up immediately. Had the same problem and MMO fixed it.
I think the valves are all fine. I turned the engine over by hand with the head off quite a bit and the valves never missed a beat. I did try adding a bit of MMO to the fuel.

I should note it wasn't doing this before the head gasket replacement, but I did a lot of other little stuff to the engine while that was ongoing - I had the manifolds completely off, rebuilt the distributor, rewired the ignition, replaced the ignition coil, etc... so it's hard to point at any specific thing as a possible culprit. Manifold gasket leak makes sense to me though.

It is hard to troubleshoot since this is pretty intermittent and I still don't know what's causing it or making it stop. I thought I had fixed it for good a couple days ago but it just decided to do it again. I was fortunate that this time it did it in the garage and not on the road since I was able to get video.

Last edited by trevorsworth; 09-23-2021 at 09:04 PM.
trevorsworth is offline   Reply With Quote