View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
GaryU.

Default 1936-1939 Pickup Spare Tire Locking Cap "aka The Frying Pan"

After looking at a Fordbarn thread about 1935 Pickup spare tire mounts early last Saturday morning I went to that auction site and found another piece of the puzzle for my 1939 pickup. I was astounded to see what has been described as "the frying pan" locking spare tire cover for sale. The listing said 1935 Ford(not correct 1936-39 pickup), and the pictures looked good so after an offer of $60.00 that was accepted this arrived yesterday. After looking it over I think this is in original condition, if it was on a pickup it wasn't there for very long. You can see marks on the inside from the hubcap clips from a wide five wheel but very little other damage. The stainless needs a touchup but I'm thinking I'll leave the paint alone and just use it as is and it fits perfectly. Now for the issues:

Number 1: no key for the lock (have already contacted 32Phil for key making).

Number 2: The original metal strap? that would go over the spare tire that was attached to the spare tire mount was either torn or cut off back in the day on my pickup so I need that part. What was left was about 2 inches long and I drilled out the rivets before I had all the spare tire mount parts powder coated. Any help with that over tire metal strap is appreciated and I will post this in the Wanted Section as well. Thanks, Gary U.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote