View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Default Re: '40 front fenders

The old wagon was a part of family history. Yesterday I drove it to where I started cutting it up in front of the shop. Everything still worked. Heater, directionals, Hi-Lo beams, all running gear, recent clutch etc. The body had rotted off from road salt, most of that from trips to British Columbia in the winter. Everyone said I should haul it off for scrap, but I just thought it needed a new body. I had taken good care of it for most of my adult life. For years I just figured I'd build some kind of jailbar contraption on it, but the track width is way off. But then '40 stuff is very collectable and expensive so it was always on the back burner. Bit by bit '40-'41 stuff showed up and the cummins powered '47 tonner is done and the woodie pretty much, except it always needs another coat of varnish. Winter is fast approaching and what is winter without a challenging project? The first picture is this wagon in it's heyday and the second one is off the net. The second one is the same chassis as mine but looks like it has big tires and maybe a lift. Both no-nos in my book. I am not trying to build a restorod, just trying to find some kind of body to cover up my old family ride, and ford stuff is what I have and have some connections to. Edit: I added a third photo of it with more of it's rusted body before removal.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55tow45.jpg (80.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 55frame.jpg (43.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg FJ55 half stripped.jpg (91.5 KB, 78 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote