View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
daveymc29

Default Re: Borg Warner OD Question

the lever shifts it manually in and out of overdrive. It doesn't matter which way it points while installing. What is destructive is driving backwards with the overdrive engaged. I use a fail-safe lockout switch in the electrical circuit that kills the power to the solenoid if the cars transmission is in reverse. You can also put an idiot light into the electronic hook-up that will come on when the solenoid is powered. I prefer to not have to remember to look for a light, if I forget to shift the OD manually out of gear and try to back up the engine revs and the car just sits there, both the manual shift and the solenoid have to be engaged for the overdrive to engage.

How do I wire it thus? I bring the power to a switch on the shift rail that is pushed rearward when the Model A transmission is placed in reverse. That rail is the one toward the right hand side of the car. I drill a small hole into the rail cover on the tower, thread it for the switch, which costs about three or four dollars at the parts house and has a plunger that actuates it, so that pushing the plunger will break the power circuit to the solenoid. screw that switch into the hole I threaded, and wire back up to wherever I want the control switch to be located and hook it to one side of that switch. Then I run a wire to the solenoid to actuate it. I will send you pictures if you send me your email in a PM. This is how BMC wired the Laycock overdrives as used in their cars and also in Volvo.

Better yet Herb, call me, I just saw it was you. I loaned my roster to a guy driving cross country in his Model A. Dave Mc Arthur 925 820 0394

Last edited by daveymc29; 06-01-2020 at 06:31 PM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote