View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
skidmarks

Default Re: Maine Machine Shop to Replace wheel Bearing Races?

[QUOTE=glennpm;1867364]Hi Skidmarks,

You’ve got me curious about the “pilot”. Did you make a bung with a center hole that was hammered into the bearing end? I wonder if a large diameter cone at the tail stock would work. The cone to engage the ID of the bearing end.

Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
You dont need a super large lathe. About a 18" swing. I ve done them with a carbide tool bit. Center the bell end in a 4 jaw chuck and made a pilot for the wheel bearing end. And dial it in. Takes longer to set it up then maching it
Pilot was a tight fit but not hammered in. It worked better
Then the bull nose pilot i had.

I was fixing a set that were pitted on the bottom but didnt have alot of wear and was able to find a area to that the dial indicator rode smooth on.
Some you find worn badly out of round from the weight of the car pushing up against the bottom of the race caused by a number of issues. But i have noticed some being softer then others when cutting them. The heat treatment doesnt go too far past the race . When we cut them off in the past for making drop in axles we cut them with a portaband saw

Turning the compound dial you divide the amount you want to take off per cut in half.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote