View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #25
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: What is average highway speed for the model a?

My '28 Special Coupe presently has 83,000 miles on it, engine heritage is unknown, save that it does not appear to have ever been bored ( original Ford pistons ); I am assuming the bottom-end is factory original too. It is "tired".

Flat-out on level road, it might make 55 mph. I keep it under 50 MPH by the speedo ( which reads about 5 MPH "Fast" at that speed ).

I've put about 3000 miles on the car since January, with no major issues aside from a blown head-gasket.

I know that Ford advertised the A being capable of 60 mph, but I am of the opinion that this was as much a marketing pitch as it was an engineering goal: in 1928-1931 there were few if any roads in this country where one could drive more than a couple miles at 60 MPH... so most folks were limited to relatively brief sprints.

I would be reluctant to take an "unknown" A and push it down the road faster than 50 MPH for any length of time; could be an expensive experiment.

Handling and braking are also important concerns.

I would definitely (personally) NOT take a Model A ( or any other car of this vintage ) out on an Interstate highway; at least not around here (NE Atlantic states). Even if your Ford can maintain 55 mph, it's at the end of its capability, while you will probably be 10-20 MPH slower than the AVERAGE speed of traffic. Add to that skinny tires, limited brakes, poor aerodynamics, no crash protections, and modern drivers, and you're really flirting with serious injury or death. Is it worth that risk ?

My comments are not intended for those with modified/"improved" cars... I'm sure those folks have done their homework and know what they're doing...

For me, the good old secondary roads ( WPA ) are perfect for me and my Flivver... I chug along at 40-50 MPH all day long... I also find myself gravitating towards the secondary roads when driving later antiques (1940's-'60s) or even modern iron when I want a break from the speed-demons, crazies, and tractor-trailers out on the Interstate.

If you need to get somewhere in a hurry, a Model A is probably not the best choice.

Just my observations & opinions, based on my personal experience(over 25 years using pre-1960 vehicles as daily drivers); your results may vary.

Take your time, drive safely, and enjoy your ride !
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote