View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
DeBordEngineMan

Default Re: What is average highway speed for the model a?

Thanks guys for all the different answers and different speeds that you all seem to go. In some of the posts some different angles came up that I had not considered before like the shocks.....I am running stock rebuilt shocks and the car handles nicely in the curves and the ride is good for a stock Model A I guess as it is the only A that I have drove so I really don't have nothing to compare to. I think that the car would run good at the faster speeds of 50 to 55 mph but just seemed like a lot of stress on the engine, I personal like it at 40 to 45 mph on the highway maybe later when I get use to the car a little more and know how the motor is going to "hold up", but I like to play it safe also when stopping at the faster speeds I do have new cast iron drums and new brake components all around and she will slide the tires but I hope that I don't have to try them out like in a panic stop if you know what I mean! So I guess it all depends on the driver and road conditions and how well you trust your A's motor to take the higher RPM's and the rest of your drive train as well as your A as a whole I guess? I guess I was just leary to push my A at the faster speeds until I get more comfortable with it also I just thought that the motor seemed to be running to many rpm's it just seemed to be pushing the car to aggressively? But I guess this is the nature of the beast with the stock motor in the A and the standard 3 speed transmission, I wish that I could ride and drive in a stock A so that I could compare, the only other A I have rode in was equipped with the Mitchel overdrive transmission and that was when I first bought mine and the first time that I had rode in one since my youth so I was overwhelmed with trying to take "everything" in that I could so maybe someday I can try another.....but for now I will drive mine at the speed that I am comfortable with till I get better accustom with it. Thanks guys for your posts I really enjoy reading and learning about the A, so keep posting your thoughts it is all good, Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote