Thread: Ignition timing
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #27
big job

Default Re: Ignition timing

Right on Hoop. I was raised in my fathers shop when these were the king of the roads.
Not knittin pickin but most now their parents wasn't even born yet. We just got over
very hard times WWII the ole man serviced many many Model A's pre war V8s. I still
have the Standard ignition wall cabinet still loaded with points, condensers, rotors from
the 30s and 40s. What I am trying to say back then No body but No body had a strobe,
fixture, or the Sun machine that did it all. We were all mom & pop garages broke but
better than picken corn. My fathers profit margin on a gallon of gas was 1 cent. But
I always had good school clothes and toys. So customers for a tune up & oil change would
come to any local garage. Guess they couldn't afford the dealer. So while I watched
now embedded in my head pop took off the right top radiator hose (tin can catch water)
remove fan comes right out with no hose in the way, remove distributor replace points
set .015 replace all parts back on, then out the door. Thats the way I do it now and
70 yrs later, and my car runs perfectly. Not wise guy, but I find people now are all got their minds wrapped up with math and tech stuff. How many just used a match book
cover to set points? from my generation, about every body when a simple feeler gauge
was something in a Sears wish book LOL but true ........
big job is offline   Reply With Quote