Thread: New block
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #20
Tod

Default Re: New block

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Yes, LOL. The flathead is a totally different animal. What are the foundry estimates? And who is building the core boxes? I have foundry experience and core design and manufacturing experience and know the cost involved. How many hours is involved in the machine work on say an FE block?
I have been in the industry for 40 years and have made castings much more difficult than a V8 flathead block. I have the ability to do all the design work, tooling work, and machine work. Core boxes are not hard to make. My first trade is pattern making. Engine blocks, even this one, are far from the most difficult thing I have done.

An example of machine time would be my Model A first OP which is most of the block, takes 5 hours running at 25% rapid travel and 40% feed rates. That is on my Toyoda FH55. I can cut a Cleveland or FE block in less than 20 hours on slow feed rates. I use slow feed rates because I am usually doing other things at the same time so I don't have to be hovering over all machining that is going on.

A casting this simple would probably be around $900. My investment will be negligible, so it allows me to make a return with little in it. I am also in the process of buying more foundry equipment than I already have to expand into pouring my own blocks. Even if I didn't, I have quality foundry people to count on.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote