View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #33
37 Coupe

Default Re: Front cross member needed badly

Big Flats sells the right ones in a kit for Model A and other makes. Bolt everything together and remove one bolt at a time to install the correct rivet.Big Flats also sells the bucking bars and round rivet forming tools as well as others. Just plan on it taking awhile and get a second set of hands to help especially with an acetylene torch to heat rivet red hot and keep hot while forming.First thing you are supposed to do after it is red hot is hammer the rivet to swell in the diameter than keep red hot to form the head. Ideally the best scenario is a stripped frame on some sort of an anvil. I did this years ago on another year frame a 1939. Held the frame on a chain hoist wit a massive welding table as the anvil part and had individual blocks or whatever it takes to back up the force of the blow.Now I have non of this equipment at hand and would like to do the job again on my Model A.But Big Flats is sdefinitely where you need to get supplies and instructions.they even have a channel jack that fits inside the frame to hold the rivet but these could be made simple enough on a lathe. Again plan on taking your time remove a holding bolt and do one at a time.