View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
Keith True

Default Re: Installation of Alternator on a Model A

When I first drove my any real amount in 1973 I had my lights working OK,but not as good as they could have been.I didn't know too much about the refractory value of the silver on the reflectors,or about the focusing of the bulbs.I was however,17,and liked to drive every chance I got.I could get my A to run with the lights on with just a slight discharge.I would guess now at 1-2 amp discharge.I could just see a thin black line between the center marker on the guage and the needle.I ran that car many nights from dark to dawn on a Friday or Saturday night,and still have enough pooch in the battery to start the car.I would do as Brent did,as kids we ate every hour or two so when I stopped I would run the car for a few minutes before shutting it off.My old Gordon Smith air compressor had no charging system on it either.When I bought it I planned to put a generator on it.The previous owner said he had planned to do it but never needed to.If I was doing any serious sandblasting I could run it 8 hours just on the battery and it would still start the next morning.It would not however restart at noon on the second day.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote