View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
JimNNN

Default Re: Are Mustangs still collectible?

Run of the mill Mustangs may suffer a little from "Model T syndrome"; i.e., an attractive, desirable, iconic, historically significant and generally all around good car that has somewhat deflated values because they made so darn many of them. Mustangs have an advantage over the T, however, in that they're much more usable on today's roads. Based on what I've seen, Mustangs just might be restored more than any other old car - in part because of their affordability and vast numbers - but it seems that Camaros of the same vintage have a somewhat higher value, even the plain jane models.

I actually don't know much about Mustangs, but I know the mid-60's Thunderbird I picked up a couple of years ago has a related dilemma: affordable as a vintage car, so it's easy to get into one, but it's also hard to justify putting a lot of money into one, values being what they are (even for restored cars.) But the T-Bird isn't alone in that regard within it's genre (personal luxury.) Mid-60's Buick Rivieras and Olds Toronados are also cool looking cars that don't seem to bring a bunch of money. Part of the problem with with personal luxury cars of the era is that, despite their sporty looks and big engines, they're heavy cars that really aren't designed around performance. That can't help value.

Frankly, I'm expecting to see the values of most 40's, 50's 60's and early 70's American cars start heading south...in a big way and permanently. The people who remember the era are becoming fewer and fewer. And beyond that, it seems like young people just generally don't have the interest in old things like we did when we were their age.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote