View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
alchemy

Default Re: 32 windshield glass install

I used some regular old fashioned setting tape, cut to about 6 inch strips, and taped them crossways over the edge of the glass so I wouldn't need many extra hands as we were lowering the glass into the frame.

We had a guy on each end of the frame pulling the ends apart, as I lowered the glass through the tight spot. Then we pulled it back outward about 6 inches and squirted the urethane into the groove. Pushed the glass back down, then to one side and squirted into the other side groove. Then the opposite. Then squirted the bottom bar groove, installed it, and made sure the glass was now centered in the frame.

Then we cleaned up any urethane that globbed out and layed the frame flat. We cut the overlapping tabs of the tape off the upward side and masked a nice line, and squirted the urethane around that side. Do about a foot at a time and wipe it smooth with lacquer thinner to clean up. Pull the masking tape after the whole side is done.

We waited a day to flip the frame and seal the other side.

I can say the urethane tube needs to be warm to flow good. We did the first side on a cold day and the calking gun really didn't want to push easily. The next day I warmed up the tube in a pot of hot water before use.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote