View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
svm99

Default Re: Block ID (41 Merc?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
You mention 239 and 221...characteristics are '41--wartime 239, just slap a ruler across the bore to be sure!
Also, look at back where the oil connections are. Is there a circular boss near the 2 drilled and tapped holes? I believe that is an indicator of a wartime block, marking the extra drilling needed for engines going to Canadian military because many of the commonwealth military vehicles had filters or oil coolers fitted. That boss stayed on in postwar flatheads.
During WWII, USA engines sometimes supplemented Canadian production, And Canada supplied the biggest part of Ford production for British, Indian, South African, and Anzac armies.
The Ford 1937-48 Engine overhaul book has one picture in which you can see a 3-hole block from some military vehicle.
I'll second Bruce's statement about the circular boss near the 2 drilled holes in the bell housing. I have 2 such blocks, 3 3/16" bore and both were removed from '41 trucks. Both blocks had remnants of the early blue paint used on the prewar 239 engines. Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote