View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 04:28 AM   #112
mike42

Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Morning Gentlemen .....It was a long day yesterday cleaning up this place and also my Grand Daughters made a visit and there was wine and pizza and well....you know where that time goes !

First ...Coop thx for posting that. I know you guys can't imagine how dirty this drum and brake was, but this is after 3 cans of spray and I wire brushed it also. There was sludge and crap so bad I could not see the parking brake mechanism. I took a few minutes yesterday to wire brush and spray again. It's looking better. I have to believe that these brakes were never changed since build date May 1940.

Glenn ....thx for the link on posting. Ive used computers since '87 and I never had so much trouble attaching a photo. Strange....! I'll be trying again.

Right now I plan on getting all the brake area cleaned and new brakes installed. I will then address the drum. There is still good strong material thickness left to be turned and yes I plan on taking my time with this. I have always tried to keep the old parts if possible and to repair them so it's still original. I cleaned up the drum and there is a very slight ridge on the edge. Understand that the town I live in is not Detroit where there are a lot of machine shops I could turn to. I'm limited to a certain degree, but once I get the new shoes installed I can address the drum issue. I'll have all Winter to do that, as the weather is turning bad next week and I would not be out in the barn too much longer. Not heated.

I sincerely appreciate all the help on this very much ! If it wasn't for you guys and YouTube I would still be trying to get the damn drum off !!

One last question for the day....I read all the notes regarding the drums and can the lug heads be ground down and then be pressed out and then the hub just comes off or does that also have to be pressed out ? The worst thing that could happen is to buy new, but would like to save the original hubs if at all possible. I had no bearing noise at each wheel. This car rolls pretty sweet and very solid, but most of it's life was sitting in a barn all during the World War II and then from 1957 to 1987 and then 1992 til 2012 in another barn until I bought it. I'm a very lucky guy to have found it. I love this shit.....!!

Going to make coffee....

Thx again all......Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote