View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Zenith carb rebuild

It is difficult to determine if the kit is all OK. The three problems items I have found in the past:

1. The idle jet pickup tube is thick walled instead of thin walled like a original; also the orfice is not dished and often times to large of an opening, Most original idle jet opening is .021 or .022.

2. The idle air screw is often too short and does not close off the air mixture completly; runs ot of threads before seating.

3. The needle on the GAV often runs out of threads before seating which allows more fuel to flow to the secondary well which effects the idle jet and the cap jet. Compare the threads to a original needle.

I have used the junk idle jets, by breaking off the idle end and flating out the pickup tube to form a handle; use these to screw into the other jet openings to block off so I can check the passages for being open and not plugged.

Using the smallest glass beads, I bead blast the upper and lower housings; the small beads will pass thru the passageways, if not I drill out the plug for proper cleaning. The other benifit of glass beads it eliminates rust in the jet threads so when jets are installed you know if the jet will hold. Have found this condition on very rusty housings which just had to be thrown away.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote