View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #16
pooch

Default Re: Actual Car Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
I started down this line of thinking a few days ago when this thread was started...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Afford

...some of the comments indicated even with as little that is left of the car there was still value in it, probably more than the asking price. I know the thinking is probably not logical but thought I would share anyway.

As a new "A" owner I've been spending a great deal of time browsing the catalogs and websites from Snyder's, Gaslight, etc. Looking at the prices for replacement parts, wheels, tires, engines, transmission, fenders, and everything else....just to buy 5 wheels with tires you are approaching $2,500.

So I decided to create a spreadsheet and go through the Synder's catalog starting with the first page of the "A" parts and put together a list of parts that are currently on my car and the associated costs to replace them.

For rebuilt parts that required a trade in to get the lower cost, I went with the lowest possible cost. It did not take very long to get over $15,000, that's where I stopped. Looking ahead in the catalog I saw it would be very easy to far exceed $20,000 in cost.

So right now I have my car insured for $15,000, it's pretty obvious that the costs of the parts far exceed that, has anyone else had these same thoughts.

I know it's not logical to think you could start ripping apart a car and sell the parts, not to mention the fact that it would be sacrilege to do so, I just find it interesting how things sold as a whole are sometimes less expensive then the sum of its parts.

Thanks for indulging me...

Nick
I don't believe that at all.

I was considering wrecking out my original unrestored phaeton and I added up all the ebay selling prices of each bit and it was way below what the whole car was worth as a whole.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote