View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #13
Cape Codder

Default Re: Main Bearing Peening

Not knowing anything about Babbitting but sure would like to share my experiences.
Just a CAUTION to anyone interested in trying to pour your own Babbitt!
In my early days of Model A-ing a friend and I decided to pour the mains in a block I had. No experience and not finding the "facts on how to properly babbitt" like Kevin in NJ mentioned. From what I remember we did not tin nor even pre-heat the block or heat the home made jig. Just heated the Babbitt and poured. BANG!!!!!! The Babbitt blew up when it contacted the coooolllllddddd block and jig. Blew up into my friends EYE who also had the ladle in his hand. Unbelievably, he calmly handed me the ladle and then I rushed him to a doctor (he would not go to the hospital). The doctor removed the Babbitt from his eye and covered it. Told my friend to use the prescription as prescribed and return in a week. Unbelievable that he had NO eye sight lose or ongoing problems with the eye. GOD had to be watching after him on that day!!
LESSONS learned: Use eye protection! Find out "facts on how to properly babbitt". And mostly NEVER, EVER try again!!!!!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote