View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
WHN

Default Re: Engine Misfire Knock

I won’t be to quick to start taking things apart.

First thing I would do is add the Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas. Than I would pull the plugs and check them. If old or if there age is unknown, I would replace. Than check you points and clean or replace, reset the gap. Clean the rotor and clean the contact points on your distributor cap. Re time the engine. Lube your distributor and check for shaft issues. Two piece or one piece shaft.

Check the water pump. Remove fan belt and run engine.

What weight and type of engine oil are you using. I would recommend 20w-50 HD oil with one 16oz blue bottle of STP if your engine has some mileage on it. If you don’t know how many miles, than try it to see what happens. Not expensive.

Model A engines can at any time start making funny sounds that sometimes just go away. You would to at 90 years old.

I have used the above recommendations a number times on noisy Model A engines that I did not really have a good history on. In every case I have seen good results.

I would not get overly excited. If it’s running good, I would think it very well could be something that can be easily fixed.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote