View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
ian Simpson

Default Re: Need a little help installing flyweel/tranny

Removing and installing flywheels and transmissions need not be a major trauma.

I do it from inside the car with both front seats removed along with the front floorboard, toe board and brake cross shaft.

I remove two bolts from the bell housing at each top corner and replace them with two headless bolts about four inches long. Then remove the rest of the bolts, slide the tranny back on the headless bolts until the main shaft clears the pilot bearing, then lift it down. (I remove the shifter tower to make it easier to handle.)

I then remove two of the flywheel bolts and replace them with headless bolts about six inches long. The other two bolts are removed, the flywheel slid back and lifted down to the floor.

Reassembly is the exact opposite. It helps to grind tapers on the headless bolts to make it easier to locate the heavier components.

Using these simple tools, I removed and installed both flywheel and tranny working alone. I am 73 years old, have significant osteo-arthritis and other health issues. I managed it alone, it is not a tough job, I lift heavier weights making my home made wine.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote