View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
Tom Endy

Default Re: Generator vs Alternator

When I got my first Model A as an adult more that 30 years ago the previous owner had installed halogen headlight bulbs. The car was a 30 town sedan with a 6-volt battery and generator. When I drove the car for the fist time at night I turned on the headlights and the ammeter needle slammed so hard against the negative peg it shook the whole car. The headlights were drawing way too much current. There was no way you could drive this car at night for any length of time without running the battery down. I soon replaced the bulbs with standard 6-volt bulbs.

Today my Victoria is still a 6-volt animal, but with a positive ground alternator. I ran standard bulbs in the headlights for years until recently when I installed the new LED bulbs. I am very pleased with them.

I believe it is best to run an alternator as it provides all the power output that is needed to operate anything electrical on a Model A. The regulator circuit also provides that the battery always remains fully charge. The battery will last longer when it is always fully charged.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote