View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 11:34 AM   #16
rotorwrench

Default Re: Wire wheel balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by langus480 View Post
Nice picture.

I know in the Overhaul shop balancing Tailrotor Blade and Hub assemblies, we would have to perform the task in a room with "Still Air" meaning even the Air-conditioning couldn't be on.

I wonder if this also would apply to the tire/wheel assemblies?
When I was in the military, we had the Marvel balancer equipment to perform static balance on rotors. In civilian practice, I just balance it with my trusty Chadwick Helmuth Vibrex kit with the Stobex to get the clock angle. Bell had a ball bearing balance set but it was a Pita to use. I would use it to do the initial track setting on the old Bell 47 machines that still had adjustable pitch links. Most are fixed now days.

On motorcycle wheel assemblies, I use the same set up that I true the spoked rims with. If the wheel/tire assembly doesn't try to rotate in any clock angle setting then it's good to go. On car wheel assemblies, a person just needs an old bubble balancer to static balance. If it is properly static balance then it should run true in a computer balance machine unless the rim is bent. I used to use an old Micro like the one in this link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/19628052157...R_DmwPnKYwlike

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-20-2024 at 10:09 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote