View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
rockfla

Default Re: 39 Mercury trans cover/shifter seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
There was no seal or gasket between the mat and the floor board. If there was something there in your car, someone added it.
Two clips held the mat in place - nothing else. One on each side of the transmission pan "tunnel". Repop pans do not have these holes.
The picture I've attached is a '39 standard (no shift boot), but shows the two clips in their proper placement.

Kube, thanks for your expertise
I have also posted a picture of our "well" worn floor mat out of the Merc which is still quite intact in the area you have pointed out as having "two clips", not there on the Merc. You can also see that the silhouette of the Merc is slightly "different" than that of the Ford, I talked to Mike (Third Gen) about using the "Ford" mat as a replacement and I believe that this would be the "only" option (with "possible altercation) other than stabilizing my current mat. I ordered the floor screw kit from Mike for the 39 Ford and it is 1/2 correct for what I have removed from the Mercury......3/4 of the transmission cover screws are #14 x 3/4 Pan Head Slot tapping screws (Of which I had to grind the heads off and remove by vise grip after soaking) and NOT machine screw like in my kit.....ONLY TWO of the screws on the Trans cover were machine screws..the two up buy the wood floor boards??? Those "same" #14 X 3/4 tapping screws hold the gasket In question on in three spots and are exactly as the one on the trans cover with a 1/4 washer under the head (which is also in the kit and match up exactly to what I removed) as posted in my original post.....SO not sure JUST how different Mercury's are form Ford OR IF the fact that our Merc is a Oct of 38 produced car, it early and has "several" differences than later 39 Mercs we have seen......IF that is also a factor??? BUT I believe the remnant of what is left is "original" to the Mercury....NOT to be arbitrary and what is left is a perfect fit to the opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39MercFloorMat.jpg (36.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 39MercShftrGaskt.jpg (7.6 KB, 32 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote