View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Front axle restoration

Sighting Rods are known to have been used by ancient "Primitive" people for whatever surveying they did! They work! However, one question, looking at that axle in the picture, It will come out of the process with no caster. Shouldn't or wouldn't it be better to add the caster angle now while it's out of the car? It seems like it would or does the car's weight etc. change it somehow?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
I have done the 2007 article - and the article is right on the money.

Others have opined that an axle can be straightened "on the car" using channels, pullers, pull-backs, fulcrums, pieces of 2" pipe and brute strength.

I have much less faith in this, particularly to knowing what exactly you have when you're done. You may correct a problem, or you may substitute one problem for another. And the worst part - you'll never know what you did.

The four "sight bars" are IMHO, the proof of the pudding. The only reservation I might have on this examining the article is the spring perch hole which in my experience is a little "oversize" compared to the forged spring perch used within it. Cone-fits at the top and on the nut are what "locates" the spring perch. Providing you can duplicate this cone/taper in your sighting rods (the original Victor Page illustrations used in his Model A book but taken from his earlier Model T book seem to do this) then all should be fine.

IIRC, the article neglected these "cones" and substituted straight pieces of larger rod made to fit the hole(s)?

Joe K
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote