View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Front axle restoration

I have done the 2007 article - and the article is right on the money.

Others have opined that an axle can be straightened "on the car" using channels, pullers, pull-backs, fulcrums, pieces of 2" pipe and brute strength.

I have much less faith in this, particularly to knowing what exactly you have when you're done. You may correct a problem, or you may substitute one problem for another. And the worst part - you'll never know what you did.

The four "sight bars" are IMHO, the proof of the pudding. The only reservation I might have on this examining the article is the spring perch hole which in my experience is a little "oversize" compared to the forged spring perch used within it. Cone-fits at the top and on the nut are what "locates" the spring perch. Providing you can duplicate this cone/taper in your sighting rods (the original Victor Page illustrations used in his Model A book but taken from his earlier Model T book seem to do this) then all should be fine.

IIRC, the article neglected these "cones" and substituted straight pieces of larger rod made to fit the hole(s)?

Joe K