View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #20
captndan

Default Re: Gas Tank Cleaning by Cutting Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Captandan, $50 bucks, my eye! Here is the final version of the gas tank opened up (on the back side) last week. See first two pictures in above post. In this picture the dark grey is primer paint. The light grey is where the primer was sanded off to get to clean metal for welding. The shiny part is solder to close up the pinholes that appeared when pressure tested - my welding was not so great.

Just these two holes took about one hour to cut out. About 2 hours to get lined back up and welded into place. Then another 4 to 6 hours testing and soldering, testing and soldering again, then testing again. All this over a week.

8 hours at shop time of even $40 per hour, which is cheap in my area, would be $320. To cut the top off and reweld could easily double that cost.

When I start cutting the second tank I will take photos as I go and post as I proceed. Wish me luck. If I mess up on thsi nest one the tank is so bad on the inside i figure I dont have much to loose. I have already spent 2 hours flushing the mouse nest out of it. UGH. kenp
I can certainly understand your frustration. First open the tank. Cost 0. Then a true and reasonable evaluation of the inside of the tank. 50/50 chance it’s really not worth trying to save. Like you I am not a good welder so if you decide to go ahead let a good welder finish the job after cleaning
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote