View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Gas Tank Cleaning by Cutting Open

I have contacted and spoke to this shop a few times and plan to send or take 1-2 tanks to them to do. They do it right - cut the whole top off along the seam, sandblast every square inch of every baffle and underside of the top, clean out out of all dust, weld it back together, pressure test for leaks, then fill with 10 gal of sealer to make absolutely sure every surface is coated then its poured out and cured. They said they would also fix minor dings while it was apart. Grade A work in my book and not that pricey. Its the only way to properly and 100% clean and restore a model A tank and really not that expensive considering all the work they will do and they have done hundreds if not thousands of tanks in the past so they know what they are doing. Id rather pay the money now to get it done right so I dont have to install a "dirty leg" or replace fuel shutoff valve because microrust scored the seals, or clean carb every 100 miles because of rust particles.

The inside of the tank is much more important than the outside of the tank. Same goes for radiators and all their issues - either pay the bucks for one of the two proper made ones or pay the equal bucks to get an original properly restored.