View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
PC/SR

Default Rear Hub heads up

Am installing new Mel Gross brake drums all around. The rear drums were rubbing on the backing plate from hub/axle wear per prior threads, so decided to get new rear hubs from Snyders. The problem is that the new hubs do not fit inside the drums' center hole.
The inside diameter of the drum hole is 4.000. The step on the hub that fits into that hole is 4.012. That is too much to press into the drum. (Well, you could, but it would warp things.) The brake shop is going to turn the hubs down to fit.
I think the problem is the hub, because I used the old stock hubs on the new front drums which fit with no problem.
I do not know if this is a one off problem for me only, and I do not know the stock dimensions. It is easy enough to fix, but am passing it along FWIW if anyone else is having the same problem.
PS: This is not a knock on Snyders, which has always been good to me. I am sure they would make it right if I asked, which I have not because it is just quicker and easier to have the brake shop do the fix. It seems to be a manufacturing problem.

Last edited by PC/SR; 04-10-2015 at 08:24 PM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote