View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #22
mrtexas

Default Re: Buying an out of state car on the internet

The first Model A I bought, a 29 roadster had thick bondo on every body panel and I drove 450 miles to look at it, not knowing what I was doing. I later sold it to a local guy who is happy as can be with it. I completely restored it however. He didn't check the sheet metal for bondo making the same mistake I made. Sometimes you get lucky.

The best way to buy is in person if you know what you are doing, if not have a knowledgeable person inspect it specific to Model As and better specific to the particular model. IMHO a generic antique car inspector won't do it for a Model A. The second best way is to buy from an honest person who actually did the restoration. By the answers to the questions you ask I think you can gauge whether a seller is honest. He can tell you exactly what he did and what is meant by restored. I bought a good early 28 roadster pickup by pictures but later discovered the driver's side door had a rather large crack in it where they usually crack from slamming the door. The passenger door was bondo for the bottom two inches. The 5/8 inch drive starter was for a later car and while it would turn the engine over it would not disengage as the flywheel requires an early 1/2 inch driver starter. The owner inherited it from his uncle and knew nothing about the car.

I later sold the 28 truck to a guy sight unseen. I provided lots of pictures and the truck had had all the defects I could find corrected and nearly every piece restored in some way, new paint and interior. The buyer later discovered there were no shocks on the car. I had provided pictures that showed no shocks but I guess he overlooked those. If he had asked I would have told him they weren't there. The buyer didn't ask any questions but I think my restoration was very thorough although not restored to a particular date with lots of very rare early parts. I would have answered any and all questions about the restoration but none were asked. The seller insisted on bargaining down from what I thought was a very low price. Well he didn't get all the spare parts I was intending to include for my asking price. I got more for the parts than the $500 he insisted on bargaining me down for. https://28fordarpickup.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 10-08-2017 at 07:16 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)