Thread: Drake Sale:
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #26
35fordtn

Default Re: Drake Sale:

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
I have had and am having a few old car parts made, so I understand the supply side. I would not want to be in their position, trying to bring new (old) products to market while keeping the rest always in stock. Not only are the parts suppliers aging, but so are the tool and die makers and machinists. I had a part in process, the tool and die maker had a stroke and was unable to return to work, so I then had to find another shop to take it on. That set the project back 6-9 months. Now a foundry I was using for another part has changed hands and will no longer do the material I need. Meanwhile I have customers waiting on "backorders"...
I had intentions of going into the parts business on a small scale, but with all of this "encouragement" I might keep the day job...

Neal
Neal, keep it up you do great work and sell excellent products! You at least have a grasp and experience with the struggles at hand unlike others.

I have to not blame drake for his process.. Many of his parts likely cost him $50,000 plus to meet the initial order amount and the cost of tooling. I sure as heck like him would want to insure some of the products are needed before committing. If a person were in it for nothing more than money they would be better off making cell phone cases over Early Ford Parts. Most suppliers have a passion for this stuff and take huge financial risk to provide us with parts. The minimum order quantities for suppliers make it to where they will be sitting on these parts for years before getting their initial investment back in many cases.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote