View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Conversation with a WWII Veteran

Early this morning, having coffee with my 97 year old Uncle, Veteran of WWII, I asked him to relate a story of how he entered the service:
"Early on Sunday morning, I walked down to the local gas station and joined the other regulars on the bench out front - we could watch the town go by and just talk. After a bit, a friend came by in a Ford Coupe, and we decided to go to the Bloody Bucket (a local hangout several miles away). When we arrived, everyone was crowded around a small Sears and Roebuck Silvertone radio - we asked what was going on, and was informed that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. I looked at my friend, asked, "Where is Pearl Harbor?" He replied, "I don't know, but I think it is in Florida." Two days later, my friend and I decided to enlist together and serve at the same duty station. We went to the recruiting station, and that was the last we saw of each other until we were discharged at the end of the war!"
My Uncle served as a Navigator and Radio Operator, and flew the "Hump" in the CBI Theater........an incredible legacy!
As we all remember that "Day that shall live in infamy" - talk to a veteran and tell him / her how grateful you are for their sacrifices. I ask you this: Enjoying your freedom?? Thank a Vet!